***This is a volunteer position, requiring approximately 15-20 hours of commitment per week.***
The Peer Support Volunteer position will provide assistance and guidance to Clubhouse members so that members can achieve their highest potential in all life skills. The Peer Support Volunteer will use his/her unique life and recovery experiences to mentor Clubhouse members and function as a colleague and role model working in partnership with Clubhouse members and other staff in all facets of the Clubhouse program.
- Consistently engages and involves members in all aspects of the unit, including activity and work planning.
- Consistently encourages members to assume leadership roles within the unit.
- Provides wide range of work opportunities to unit members.
- Works side by side with members as colleagues.
- Ensures that unit meetings happen on a regular basis.
- Maintains inventory of necessary supplies.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and orderly environment using universal precautions.
- As advocates for assigned members, staff members provide case management services and advocacy within the Clubhouse and the community.
- Assists members with all community living issues, such as negotiating with roommates, neighbors, landlords, housing authorities, and the legal system.
- Completes goal sheets with members every 6 months or more frequently at member's request and updates emergency fact sheets annually or as needed.
- Attends team meetings / case conferences at member's request.
- Maintains open and positive relationships with other service providers with member's consent.
- Gains knowledge of entitlement programs, such as SSI, SSDI. Assists and educates members in negotiating all relevant social service systems.
- Works with members on life skills as needed, e.g. banking or medication management.
- Expected to augment his/her knowledge and understanding of the Clubhouse model / philosophy by reading Clubhouse journal articles, visiting other Clubhouses and attending Clubhouse trainings, workshops and conferences.
- When fiscally feasible and the opportunity arises, staff members will attend a 3-week Clubhouse colleague training.
- Demonstrates an ability to articulate the goals, objectives and philosophy of the Clubhouse model.
- Consistently refers to members as members and relates to them as colleagues.
- Demonstrates an adherence to the Clubhouse philosophy/model in her/his daily conduct.